Macomb Township's first 5K race is almost here and organizers are expecting more than 750 runners and walkers to "Run the Plank" on Saturday, June 30.
Some 650 participants have already registered for the race and around 1,500 community members have told the race committee they'll be taking part in the fun fair at St. Peter Lutheran Church following the race.
Whether you're planning to run, walk or work the sidelines as a cheerleader, here's what you need to know for race day.
- Pick up your race packet on Friday, June 29, between noon and 8 p.m. at the Immanuel Lutheran School gym. The race packet includes a cinch bag, T-shirt, race bib and shoe chip. You will also receive a bus ticket/parking pass to be shuttled to Immanuel on Saturday from St. Peter. If you can't pick up your packet, someone else must do so. There will be no race day pickups.
- There is no parking at Immanuel on Saturday. Race participants and accompanying friends and family should park at St. Peter on 24 Mile Road. Racers will be shuttled from St. Peter to Immanuel to start the race. Non-racers need to arrange their own transportation to the starting line or any point in between.
- All participants have 20 minutes per mile. The Macomb County Sheriff's Office is closing the east lane of Romeo Plank Road to allow the race to proceed safely, but the road will be opened up as the race moves forward. There will be a bus following the route to assist those who need it for pace issues or any other needs that may arise.
- This event is for charity. Donation bins will be available at the finish line and fun fair for racers to donate their shoes to Soles4Souls. Proceeds from registration go to the Macomb Intermediate School District's Homeless Education Project.
- Online registration is closed, but in-person registration will be accepted on Friday from noon-8 p.m. at Immanuel. There is no race day registration this year.
Hosted by Immanuel Lutheran Church, St. Isidore Catholic Church and St. Peter Lutheran Church, this community-wide run/walk is the first of its kind in Macomb and the first event on which the three parishes have collaborated.
Designed as a 5K run/walk, Run the Plank will take participants roughly three miles north along the east side of Romeo Plank Road. Starting at Immanuel Lutheran on 21 Mile, participants will have the option to run or walk Romeo Plank past St. Isidore on 23 Mile and ending at St. Peter Lutheran on 24 Mile.
- Start time: 8:15 a.m., June 30 at Immanuel Lutheran
- Finish time: 9:30 a.m., at St. Peter, with the fun fair running until noon
- Age Categories: 14 and under, 15-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60 and older
Medals will be awarded to the top three finishers in each category. One overall winner will also be recognized.