How to Register to Vote in Macomb Township
In honor of National Voter Registration Day, we’re giving you all the information you need on how and where to register to vote.
If you haven’t yet registered to vote, get it off your to-do list now.
Today is National Voter Registration Day, and thousands of local, state and national organizations have mobilized to make sure millions of people don’t miss the chance to cast their vote in this year’s elections.
Six million people didn’t vote in the 2008 elections because they either did not know how to register or because they missed the voter registration deadline.
The voter registration deadline for Michigan is Oct. 9. If you're planning to vote in the Nov. 6 election, here's what you need to know:
Am I Eligible to Vote?
In order to vote, you must:
- be 18 years or older on or before election day
- be a citizen of the U.S.
- have lived in Michigan for at least 30 days
- be registered on or before the close of registration
Voter applications are available at the offices listed above as well as online at www.Michigan.gov/sos.
Where Can I Register?
- Macomb Township Clerk's office, 54111 Broughton Road, Macomb, MI 48042 (open 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.)
- Any Secretary of State branch office (hours vary per branch)
- Macomb County Clerk's office, 40 North Main (1st Floor), Mount Clemens, MI 48043 (open 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.)
- By mail to any of the above locations.
Do I Need to Do Anything Other Than Fill Out the Application?
If you hand-deliver your application, the staff person helping will take your form and you don't need to do anything else.
If you have never registered to vote in Michigan and choose to mail in your application, you will need to meet an identification requirement, meaning you must enter your driver's license number or personal ID card number where requested on the form or send a photocopy with your app of your driver's license, personal ID, paycheck stub, utility bill, bank document or government document that lists both your name and your address.
I'm Not Sure I'm Registered. Can I Check?
Voter registration records may be verified by contacting the Township Clerk at 586-992-0710, the County Election division at 586-469-5209 or visiting www.Michigan.gov/vote.
How Do I Vote Absentee?
Those who aren't able to go to the polls on election day may cast an absentee ballot. Completed absent voter ballot applications can be mailed to the township clerk or delivered personally to: Michael D. Koehs, CMC, Clerk; 54111 Broughton Road, Macomb, MI 48042
If you want the ballot mailed, your application must be received by 2 p.m. the Saturday before the election. These dates are also important to absentee voters:
- Nov. 3, 2 p.m.: Deadline to submit absentee ballot by mail
- Nov. 5, 4 p.m.: Deadline to submit absentee ballot in person at clerk's office
- Nov. 6, 4 p.m.: Emergency absentee ballot deadline
Additional information is available on the Macomb Township Elections website.