Welcome to Recipe Swap, a new series created to put a 21st century twist on the age-old practice of swapping recipes with friends and neighbors.
Last week, Patch asked its Facebook readers to share their uses for avocado. From avocado-based desserts to a dozen different sandwich combinations, readers offered up a variety of recipes used and loved by their own famlies.
This week we turned our attention to the sweet red bell pepper.
Salads and Sides
- Bev Clark Try making California Cole Slaw -- it's my new favorite take-to-a-potluck recipe. Lots of good veggies including red and green bell peppers.
- Kelly Monroe Botkin Green beans, red bell pepper, and balsamic make a green bean dish that my children will actually eat. It's the only way to get green beans in them.
- A favorite in the Whalen household is red bell pepper with cauliflower and garlic. We dice one large bell pepper, two to four cloves of garlic or a few dashes of garlic salt and uncooked cauliflower in pieces, cover it with olive oil and set it to bake in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes. Simple, but delicious.
- Mercedes Luna-Rivero Roasted peppers & stuffed (with beef or tuna) peppers
- Stuffed peppers are another favorite at the Whalen house. For the stuffing, we mix ground sirloin, white rice (cooked al dente), raw onions and seasoning to taste. The peppers are stuffed and steamed in a Dutch oven at 350 degrees for at least an hour. I love them with lots of ketchup!
Try these suggestions and post your own in the comments below! Anyone have some good grill recipes to share?