Today's News Fast: Aug. 19
It's a day for extremes, with Patch Editor Jenny Whalen flying a stunt plane into the sky for the Selfridge Air Show, three local residents walking 168 miles across the state and the Your Patch of Michigan photo contest preparing to finish with a bang.
- Oh what a beautiful morning, oh what a beautiful day ... Rodgers and Hammerstein could have been talking about today when they wrote those lyrics. The National Weather Service forecasts it will be sunny, with a high near 84 degrees, and a light north northwest wind. The low for today will be around 64 degrees.
- With the Selfridge Air Show in town, I couldn't resist the chance to fly in the Magnum Pitts stunt plane performing in the show. So Thursday afternoon, I climbed into the cockpit and took off for the wide blue yonder ... and I got it all on video.
- Three Macomb Township friends are planning to walk 168 miles across the state to raise awareness and funds for the famine-ravaged people of East Africa. Here's the story of Hand Up 4 East Africa.
- Check out the winning shot for week three of the Your Patch of Michigan photo contest. Remember, there is still time to enter the fourth and final week of the contest to win a $35 gift certificate for the Root Restaurant & Bar in White Lake. After Sept. 17, Patch will pick a grand prize winner to receive a certificate for a two-night stay at Mission Point Resort on Mackinac Island.
- In recognition of Macomb Township's German roots, we bring you the German Word of the Day: möglich, meaning possible, is an adverb pronounced [mer-glikh].