The 2012 Stars & Stripes Festival returns to Mount Clemens this weekend, bringing with it more than 100 performances, a fireworks display, carnival midway and variety of other entertainments for children and adults.
The festival starts at 11 a.m. Friday, June 29, and runs through Sunday, July 1, with most activities taking place near 49 Macomb Place in Mount Clemens. If you're planning to head down for some patriotic fun, here's what you need to know right now:
- The festival begins at 11 a.m. Friday, Saturday and Sunday. It ends at midnight all three days. Entry to the festival is free, although $30 VIP tickets are available for musical performances.
- Parking is available for $5-$10 in various city and county lots throughout Mount Clemens. Parking is also offered at the Gibraltar Trade Center for $2 and free at the Farmer's Market Lot. A free non-stop shuttle will service each of these lots, taking passengers to and from the festival.
- Not all items are allowed on festival grounds. No outside food, beverages, pets, bicycles, scooters, roller blades, skates, skateboards, video cameras or weapons are allowed in the festival. This includes fireworks along the riverfront and northbound Gratiot between Crocker and Dickinson.
- Some photography is permitted. Simple point and shoot cameras are allowed on festival grounds, but professional and high-end prosumer cameras are not allowed in the music performance areas. No video camera of any kind are allowed.
- The fireworks start at 10 p.m. Friday. The show can be seen from anywhere on the festival grounds, although the best spots are on the riverfront.
- Bring blankets and chairs to enjoy the musical shows. Umbrellas, lawn chairs, infant carriers and strollers are all allowed on festival grounds. Blankets for the fireworks are permitted after 9 a.m. Friday.
- Saturday's Laser Spectacular starts at 10 p.m. The 2012 show has doubled in size and can be viewed anywhere on Main Street.
- The carnival midway is open all three days of the festival and includes more than 25 rides for children and adults. Discounted carnival wristbands are available at Big Boy locations in Mount Clemens, Clinton Township and New Baltimore.