Macomb Township will be the beneficiary of more than $16 million in road projects next year, including the widening of Hayes Road between 21 and 23 Mile and the replacement of the 23 Mile Road bridge west of North Avenue.
Macomb County officials announced the county's 2013 construction schedule during a ribbon cutting ceremony Monday to celebrate the reopening of Cass Avenue between Groesbeck and Gratiot.
One of the first Macomb Township projects the Department of Roads will tackle in the New Year is the replacement of the 23 Mile Road bridge over the Clinton River west of North Avenue.
This project was originally slated to be completed in 2012, but with the onset of winter, Macomb County Department of Roads Director Bob Hoepfner said there isn't time.
"When you pour a bridge deck you have to pour when it's warm out or you can’t do it," Hoepfner said. Construction is scheduled to resume in February 2013, and be completed in August 2013 for a total cost of just over $4 million.
Next on the schedule is the long-awaited widening of Hayes Road between 21 Mile and 23 Mile Road. Starting in June 2013 and to the tune of $8.6 million, the county plans to widen this section of road to five lanes.
Thanks to federal funding, which will cover 80 percent of the total construction cost, Macomb Township will only be required to pay its share of the remaining 20 percent, which will also be divided with the Department of Roads and Shelby Township.
And since the Department of Roads will pick up 50 percent of this cost, Macomb Township can expect to pay a bare minimum of the project's overall cost.
At around the same time construction on Hayes Road is beginning, so will paving work on three sections of road on the opposite side of Macomb Township.
From June to September 2013, the gravel sections of 24 Mile Road between North Avenue and Fairchild, 22 Mile Road at Fairchild, and Fairchild between 21 and 22 Mile Road will be paved.
Macomb Township's board of trustees approved the $3.8 million cost of these projects in May after a series of meetings between township officials and residents on the Road Paving Committee, a group formed to help research and prioritize the paving needs for the township's remaining 13 miles of dirt and gravel roads.
Because the chosen sections are county roads, the Macomb County Department of Roads would typically cover 40 percent of the overall cost of paving.
But as the county operates on a two-year allocation cycle and has already set its projects for the immediate future, Macomb Township will cover the total cost of the project up front with the assurance that the Department of Roads will provide future reimbursement, around $1.5 million.
The final project scheduled for 2013 in Macomb Township is the Hagen Road Bridge over Deer Creek. This $688,500 project is expected to last from July to October 2013.
2013 Macomb County projects announced
Overall, the county is scheduled to tackle more than $38 million in road projects next year.Project Limits Work Est. Start Est. Finish Total Cost Metro Parkway (EB) at Clinton River Spillway Bridge Rehabilitation July 2013 October 2013 $1,282,500 10 Mile Road Hayes to Groesbeck Rehabilitation May 2013 August 2013 $885,000 12 Mile Road Hoover to Schoenherr Rehabilitation June 2013 September 2013 $1,328,000 Auburn Road Dequindre to Ryan Reconstruction February 2013 July 2013 $2,720,000 Hayes Road 21 Mile to 23 Mile Widen to 5 Lanes June 2013 September 2013 $8,610,000 Metro Parkway Groesbeck to Gratiot Design 2013, Build 2015 September 2013 August 2014 $420,000 Mound Road 11 Mile to Hall Road Capital Preventative Maintenance May 2013 August 2013 $1,230,000 Van Dyke 25 Mile to 26 Mile Widen to 5 Lanes May 2013 October 2013 $4,500,000 Van Dyke 26 Mile to West Widen to 3 Lanes Jule 2013 October 2013 $1,596,000 New Haven Road Bridge Over Deer Creek Bridge Replacement August 2013 November 2013 $1,206,000 23 Mile Road Bridge Over North Branch Clinton River Bridge Replacement February 2013 August 2013 $4,053,000 Russ Road Over Field Drain Culvert Replacement June 2013 August 2013 $230,000 Hagen Road Bridge Over Deer Creek Bridge Replacement July 2013 October 2013 $688,500 Wolcott Road Over NB Clinton River Bridge Replacement July 2013 October 2013 $1,288,500 33 Mile Road Over Cemetery Creek Bridge Replacement April 2013 August 2013 $584,000 33 Mile Road Over Highbank Creek Bridge Replacement April 2013 August 2013 $453,000 24 Mile Road North Avenue to Fairchild Pave Gravel June 2013 July 2013 $3,830,000 22 Mile Fairchild Intersection Pave Gravel July 2013 September 2013 Part of above cost Fairchild 21 Mile to 22 Mile Pave Gravel July 2013 September 2013 Part of above cost Shelby-Utica Bike Path Riverbends Park Non-motorized path May 2013 September 2013 $1,742,323
The county is also planning annual maintenance projects across the county from May 2013 to September 2013.