Atwood Elementary School
Atwood Elementary School is one of 10 elementary schools in the L'Anse Creuse School District. In 2009, it was named a Michigan Green School and in 2010 its green energy and recycling efforts achieved Evergreen status. In addition to learning core subjects such as math, social studies, science and language arts, Atwood students also receive 50 minutes of Spanish instruction per week, learn basic music theory and participate in weekly physical education. The staff at Atwood works in a Professional Learning Community, which requires educators not only to work and learn collaboratively, but also to visit and review each other's classes and share decision-making. An active parent organization sponsors book fairs, the food pantry, school dances, parent-child events and family movie nights. Outside of the classroom, students can participate in Student Council, Garden Club, Safety Patrol, Science Olympiad, Yearbook Club and numerous other extracurricular activities.
- Fax: 586-493-5255
- Handicap Accessible: Handicapped bathrooms and wide doors
- Number of students: 723
- Public/Private: Public
- Accreditation/licenses: State of Michigan, Ed YES!
- Parking: Free lot
- Number of faculty: 35
- Grade levels: K-5
- Special education: Yes
- Features: Auditorium/stage, Cafeteria, Computer lab, Infirmary, Library, Sports facilities
- Extracurricular activities available: Turkey Trot, Family Dance, Ghostly Gala and Mom-to Mom Sales
- Student clubs: Broadcasting Club, 5th Grade Choir, Garden Club, Math Olympiad, Mentor Club, Safety Patrol, Science Olympiad, Recycling Club and Yearbook Club, Technology Club