Home of the Thunderbirds, Sequoyah Elementary School is one of 12 elementary schools in the Chippewa Valley School District. A Michigan Green School, the students and staff at Sequoyah have a strong recycling program and are committed to reducing their carbon footprint. As of November 2010, the school completed the full installation of SmartBoards into its classrooms and teachers consistently work to use the latest technology in their lessons. Accredited by the North Central Association, Sequoyah has committed to help students improve their math, reading and comprehension and writing skills across the curriculum in coming years. Each year, the school hosts a book fair and Santa Shop, at which students can purchase new reading material and gifts for family and friends, respectively. Students learn core subjects such as math, science, social studies and language arts as well as specials such as music, art and physical education. An active PTO and various student clubs and extracurricular activities are also available for students and parents.
- Fax: 586-723-7001
- Hours: Mon - Fri, 9:02am - 3:50pm
- Handicap Accessible: Handicapped bathrooms, wide doors
- Number of students: 827
- Public/Private: Public
- Accreditation/licenses: North Central Association
- Parking: Free lot
- Number of faculty: 42
- How engaged is the school with the community?: Students regularly participate in community service projects that include donating, fundraising and volunteering locally.
- Montessori: No
- Grade levels: K-5
- Special education: Yes
- Features: Auditorium/stage, Cafeteria, Computer lab, Infirmary, Library, Sports facilities
- Extracurricular activities available: Story-time with Santa, Valentine Bingo Night, Mother's Day Breakfast, Donuts with Dad
- Student clubs: Student Council, Safety Squad, Service Squad, Science Olympiad